Monday, July 21, 2008

Learning from my mistakes...

Everyone is not perfect. There is one thing that I really enjoy about working here at the Public Information Office is honing down on my skill to write well and not be as so cursedly redundant with my articles.

One thing is for sure, I've been accustomed to writing long essays in which I repeat myself to get the point across in as many examples as possible. I also am accustomed to writing short sweet articles that get to the point. But nothing in between.

Thom gave me some interesting insight in my writing skills. He is a seasoned journalist and knows what is newsworthy or not. Just get to the point and get your meaning across.

Some of the work that I've worked on has been quite rough. But after letting it brew for a day, I come back with a better way to word everything. It takes a day and someone else to actually make progress on it. However frustrating this may be, it does work.

I go back and revise work and see what is needed or missing. Sometimes Thom consults my writing and then figures on how to make it sound better. There are many dimensions on how to make it sound less boring than it really is. (We aren't in the business of tabloid or sensational news.) We try to make it sound interesting to the reader.

Often-times, I understand who the audience is when I write these things. I write it for myself because if I were wondering what was happening on this campus, I want to know and share it with everyone else too.

No comments: